At Grace Point, many of us sponsor children through Compassion International. Some of us just started sponsoring a child and some of us have been sponsoring children for much longer. While sending in our $38/month is nice, it is the relationships we build with these children that matters most. These relationships are built on the regular writing and receiving of letters to/from our sponsored children and prayer.
Whether you handwrite your letters, use the Compassion mobile app, or send them online, writing a letter can be difficult when you don’t know much about the other person. Below are 50 letter-writing prompts to get you started!
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Childhood
- What activities did you enjoy as a child?
- Who was your favorite teacher? What was the teacher like?
- Whom did you admire as you were growing up? Why?
- How did you get your name? What does it mean?
- Did you grow up in church? How did you come to know Jesus?
- What was a challenge you had to overcome as a child or teenager?
- What was your favorite part of school?
- What was your least favorite part of school?
- What happened during a typical school day?
- What was your first job like?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Life Today
- What is your typical day like now?
- What do you do at church/work/school?
- What do you like most about your hometown?
- What are some interesting facts about your state/province/region?
- How do you relax?
- What’s your favorite holiday? How would you describe the sights, sounds, smells, tastes of that holiday?
- What’s your biggest challenge at the moment?
- What other human understands you better than anyone else? How did you come to know this person?
- What are you learning right now?
- What’s one of your favorite Bible stories or passages? Why?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Family
- What are your closest family members like?
- What happens when your extended family gets together?
- What do you believe is God’s purpose for your family?
- What is your biggest challenge as a family?
- How has God been faithful to your family?
- What prayers has God answered in your family?
- Who else in your family knows Jesus? How did they come to know Him
- What’s your favorite thing about your family?
- In what way does your family work together best?
- What role has your family played in your faith journey?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Spiritual Life
- How has God recently answered your prayer?
- How have you sensed God’s leading at different points of your life?
- Who is your spiritual role model?
- When have you needed to repent?
- How has God comforted you in trouble?
- Why do you love God?
- How did you become involved in your local church?
- What do you believe are some of God’s purposes for your life?
- What was the latest sermon you heard or class study about? How has it impacted you?
- What is a challenge in your relationship with God?
Letter-Writing Prompts About Your Local Church
- How would you describe your pastor?
- What do you like about your local church?
- What role do you play in your local church?
- How do you use your gifts, skills and passions in your church?
- Who is your best friend at church and how did you become friends?
- Why is your local church important to you?
- How is your church active in the community and world?
- How does being a part of the church challenge you?
- How do you know God wants you to be part of this church?
- How did God lead you into ministry within your local church?
From Compassion’s website: http://www.compassion.com/letter-writing/letter-writing-prompts.htm