Jay ended the service Sunday suggesting that, just as some at times have to dig to discover hidden treasure, sometimes we need to dig in Scripture to discover all that God has provided for us.
Some Scripture passages are simple to understand, like “The LORD is my shepherd” (Psalm 23:1). It’s a simple concept on the surface, yet there is great depth in considering all the aspects of a shepherd’s relationship with his sheep.
Then there’s a passage like Ephesians 1:1-14, which requires some serious work to dissect and digest. But there’s a great treasure when one puts in the effort.
Here are some ways you can dig deep in this and other passages:
- Read the verses in different translations (the YouVersion app, or http://www.biblegateway.com are great resources)
- Notice any phrases or words that stir your heart – this is likely where the Holy Spirit is teaching you at this moment
- Journal on your reactions after reading
- Write a key verse that impacts you on a 3×5 card, carry it with you, and memorize it
- Summarize a concept with a single powerful word
Have fun digging this summer. And the best part – this treasure chest never runs out!